This past week someone complemented me on something I wear all the time. I wear it for a reason, but this person didn’t know that. They just like what they saw. It made me wonder, what do people wear and why?
Here is a list of reasons I came up with:
- Because they just like it.
- It has a personal meaning to them.
- It reminds them of something.
- It represents something.
- It represents who they are.
Here is examples of what I’m talking about:
- I like pink, so most of my shirts are some shade of pink.
- Some people wear necklaces with a cross pendent because it means they are a believer in Christ Jesus.
- Some people will wear a pink ribbon because it reminds them of a loves one who have fought the fight against breast cancer.
- Some people have favorite sporting events and will wear the colors of their favorite team.
- Some people will dress professional every waking minute, whither they like it or not, because that’s what they are.
In the bible, when God talked to the Israelites about his law he told them to:
Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:7-9.
Of course, when Jesus came He changed things for us. No longer do we just have God’s word for guidance, but we can have His Holy Sprite living in us too. Personally, I like having the options I have on this side of the cross than on the other side. Though we don’t have to “tie them as symbols” on our hands or “bind them” on our foreheads we can still show other’s that we are not ashamed of being a child of God.
Do you wear something that is representative of a child of God? Do you have art work or something that tells guest who entering your home that you are a follower of Christ?